The only constant in life is change. –Heraclitus, c. 505 BCE
We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard… –John F. Kennedy
Updated: Jan 2023
- B.S. Biology, Universidad Autónoma Gabriel René Moreno, Santa Cruz, Bolivia, 2005
- M.S. Wildlife Management, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Córdoba, Argentina, 2009
- Ph.D. Ecology and Evolution, Universidade Federal de Goiás, Brasil, 2017
- 2022-present: UMN Presidential Fellow. Department of Ecology, Evolution & Behavior, College of Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota.
- 2020-2022: Research Scientist. Department of Ecology, Evolution & Behavior, College of Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota.
- 2017-2020: Grand Challenges in Biology Postdoctoral Fellow. Department of Ecology, Evolution & Behavior, College of Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota (Sponsors: Dr. Jeannine Cavender-Bares and Dr. Daniel Larkin).
- 2009-Present: Research Associate [Ad Honorem]. Museo de Historia Natural Noel Kempff Mercado, Universidad Autónoma Gabriel René Moreno, Santa Cruz, Bolivia.
- 2012-2013: Guest Lecturer of Vertebrate Zoology. Carrera de Biología, Universidad Autónoma Gabriel René Moreno, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.
- 2010-2011: Visiting Researcher. Centro de Pesquisas do Pantanal, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso, Cuiabá, Brazil.
- 2003-2006: Intern. Museo de Historia Natural Noel Kempff Mercado, Universidad Autónoma Gabriel René Moreno, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.
Fellowships and Awards
- 2022-2024: University of Minnesota Presidential Fellowship, University of Minnesota.
- 2020-2021: AAAS/Science membership award, the American Association for the Advancement of Science Program for Excellence in Science.
- 2021: Sigma Xi Membership, Sigma Xi the Scientific Research Honor Society.
- 2017-2020: Grand Challenges in Biology Fellowship, College of Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota.
- 2015-2017: CAPES PhD Fellowship, Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior; CAPES), Brazil.
- 2014-2015: OEA-CGUB Doctoral Scholarship. Organization of American States (OAS) and the Coimbra Group of Brazilian Universities (GCUB).
- 2010-2011: CNPq Scholarship EXP-C (Projeto Sinergia-nº6 do CTHidro). Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso, Cuiabá, Mato Grosso, Brazil.
- 2010-2013: SWS Membership Award. Society of Wetlands Scientists, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
- 2007-2009: SCB Membership Award. Society for Conservation Biology - A global community of conservation professionals. Society for Conservation Biology, Washington, D.C., USA.
- 2006-2008: Master’s Fellowship, Program in Wildlife Management (Programa de Maestría en Manejo de Vida Silvestre). US Wildlife Service, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Córdoba, Argentina.
Subject Matter Editor at Ecological Monographs (Ecological Society of America).
Guest Associate Editor in Models in Ecology and Evolution at Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution.
I served as expert reviewer for the 2020 Red List of birds (eastern South America).
I have served as a reviewer in areas of macroecology, macroevolution, zoology, taxonomy and systematics, ecology and evolution, community ecology, in:
Society journals and/or associated to scientific societies
- National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
- The Royal Society: Philosophical Transactions B
- Ecological Society of America: Ecology, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, Ecological Monographs
- American Society of Naturalists: The American Naturalist
- Society of Systematic Biologists: Systematic Biology
- International Biogeography Society: Journal of Biogeography, Global Ecology and Biogeography, Diversity and Distributions
- French National Center for Scientific Research: Ecology Letters
- British Ecological Society: Journal of Ecology, Journal of Animal Ecology, Ecology and Evolution, Methods in Ecology and Evolution
- The Linnean Society of London: Biological Journal of the Linnean Society
- Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution: Molecular Biology and Evolution
- The Association of Field Ornithologists: Journal of Field Ornithology
- BirdLife Australia: EMU (Austral Ornithology)
- Aves Argentinas: El Hornero (revista de ornitología Neotropical)
- New Phytologist Foundation: New Phytologist
- Zoological Society of London: Remote Sensing in Ecology and Conservation
- Association of Tropical Biology and Conservation: Biotropica
Journals in for-profit publishers
- Nature Communications
- npj Biodiversity
- Journal of Zoological Systematics and Evolutionary
- Journal of Plant Ecology
- Perspectives in Ecology and Evolution
- Annals of Botany
- Forest Ecology and Management
- Biodiversity and Conservation
- Biological Conservation
- Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution
Kempffiana, Oecología Australis, PLOS One, Journal of Vegetation Science.
- 2020-Present: American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2021-Present: Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Honor Society
- 2014-Present: Ecological Society of America
- 2013-Present: National Academy of Sciences of Bolivia, Santa Cruz Chapter
- 2012-Present: Ornithological Society of Bolivia
- 2006-Present: Ecological Society of Argentina
- 2006-Present: Ecological Society of Bolivia
- 2010-2014: Society of Wetlands Scientists, South American Chapter
- 2010-2014: International Society for Salt Lake Research
- 2009-Present: Community for Wildlife Management in the Amazon and Latin America
- 2007-2012: Society of Conservation Biology, Bolivian Chapter