Teaching & Outreach
Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. –Louis Pasteur
Illuminating our understanding of nature, that’s what it’s about. –Peter A. Lawrence
University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN, USA
- Biodiversity Science (EEB 3534, 5534). Spring 2021. College of Biological Sciences. Access to course description and material here. R tutorials: 1) R-Intro. 2) Introduction to Phylogenies and the Comparative Method. 3) Large scale biodiversity patterns. 4) Intro to Infectious Diseases. 5) Measuring phylogenetic diversity within communities. 6) Ecological niche models and species distributions. 7) Using hyperspectral remote sensing data to predict biodiversity.
- Biodiversity Science (EEB 3534, 5534). Spring 2020. Main instructor. College of Biological Sciences. Access to course description and material (including R tutorials) here.
- Biodiversity Science (EEB 3534, 5534). Spring 2019. Co-taught with Professor Jeannine Cavender-Bares as a postdoctoral lecturer. College of Biological Sciences. Access to course description and material (including R tutorials) here.
Universidade Federal de Goiás, Goiânia, Brazil
- Phylogenetic comparative methods. One intensive course (December 2016). Teaching assistant. Programa de Pós-Graduação em Ecologia e Evolução, Instituto de Ciências Biológicas. Taught in Portuguese. Course material here.
Universidad Autónoma Gabriel René Moreno, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia
- Vertebrate zoology (ZOO-344). 2 courses (Spring-Summer 2012 and 2013). Guest lecturer. Carrera de Biología, Facultad de Ciencias Agrícolas. Taught in Spanish.
- Landscape ecology. 2 intensive courses of a month(January 2015 and 2017). Guest lecturer. Master en Manejo de Recursos Naturales y Medio Ambiente, Facultad de Ciencias Agrícolas. Taught in Spanish.
- Vertebrate zoology (ZOO-344). 6 courses (Spring-Summer and Autumn-Winter from 2003 to 2005) Teaching assistant. Carrera de Biología, Universidad Autónoma Gabriel René Moreno.
- Introduction to statistics. 3 intensive courses of 10 days(March 2012, 2013, 2014). Instructor. Department of Botany, Universidad Autónoma Gabriel René Moreno.
- Species distribution modeling with R. One intensive course of one day (June 2014). Instructor. IV congreso boliviano de Ecología, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.
Everything should be made simple as possible, but not simpler. –Albert Einstein
Diversifying Biodiversity Science
YouTube video of the round table entitled “Diversifying Biodiversity Science” under the RCN: Cross-Scale Processes Impacting Biodiversity collaborative project, in which several panelists were invited to talk about their experiences regarding the inequalities in biodiversity science and how they are working to make our work more inclusive.
IUCN Red List reviewer
Expert reviewer for the 2020 Red List of birds (eastern South America).
Spanish-language reviewer for The American Naturalist. The aim is helping The American Naturalist to expand the communications reach of the world-class science that nonnative english speakers produce.
Market Science is a science communication and outreach program within the College of Biological Sciences–University of Minnesota–that’s been working to spread science to the community and the State of Minnesota since 2013.